Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Random thoughts

Tonight, I started reflecting on phrases that I got tired of growing up.

Phrase 1:  Boys don't play with that.  Got that one every time I asked for a toy that was for girls.  After a while, I stopped asking because I would not get it.  For example, I wanted a mix and bake oven, got a toy gun instead.

Phrase 2:  It is just a phase.  I usually overheard this one.  This was usually my mother explaining my gender dysphoric behavior to one of her friends.  But no, it was not a phase just me trying to express my real self.

Phrase 3:  Be a little man.  I got this every time I either cried or expressed some other unmanly characteristics.  This leads to the next phrase.

Phrase 4:  Boys don't cry.  I got this one almost every time someone picked on me.  When I was younger I was an easy crier.  Now it is very hard for me to cry and then women wonder why men don't show emotions.  : )

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure it was tough! I'm glad you ended your reflections with a smiley and I hope the nostalgia isn't too melancholy. :)

Lesley Charles said...

It was and occasionally it still rears its head. So this is my form of therapy. I am a lot better after I vent it. I also put it out there so other tg people know they are not alone. For a long time I thought I was alone, and just this year I found out one of my close friends growing up was also tg but we never told each other.